Faculty - Michael C. Wittmann
Michael C. Wittmann
Associate Professor of Physics
and Cooperating Associate Professor
- 1993 B.S., Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- 1996 M.S., University of Maryland, College Park
- 1998 Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park
Office: 222 Bennett
Phone #: (207)581-1237
EMail Link: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Physics Education Research (PERL)
- Development, dissemination, and evaluation of the New Model Course in Applied Quantum Physics
- Outside evaluator of Real-Time Physics and Interactive Lecture Demonstrations dissemination project
- Project Director in Physics and Astronomy for the University of Maine Center for Research in Science and Mathematics Education
- PERL (Physics Education Research Laboratory)
- Michael Wittmann Personal Web site
- Activity-Based Tutorials
- Intermediate Mechanics Tutorials
- Intuitive Applied Quantum Physics
- Center for Science and Mathematics Education Research
- Wittmann, M.C., Steinberg, R.N., and Redish, E.F. (2005) Activity-Based Tutorials Vol 2: Modern Physics. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Wittmann, M.C., Steinberg, R.N., and Redish, E.F. (2004) Activity-Based Tutorials Vol 1: Introductory Physics. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Recent Peer-reviewed papers
- Springuel, R.P., Thompson, J.R., and Wittmann, M.C. (2009), “How different is ‘not the same’?” under review at Physical Review Special Topics Physics Education Research.
- McCann, K., and Wittmann, M.C. (2009) “The role of sign in students’ modeling signs of scalar equations,” accepted for publication in The Physics Teacher. Expected publish date, Fall, 2009
- Sayre, E.C. and Wittmann, M.C. (2008) “The plasticity of intermediate mechanics students’ coordinate system choice,” Physical Review Special Topics Physics Education Research 4 020105. Available at http://prst- per.aps.org/abstract/PRSTPER/v4/i2/e020105.
- Smith, T.I. and Wittmann, M.C. (2008) “Toward a more effective use of the Force and Motion Conceptual Evaluation,” Physical Review Special Topics Physics Education Research 4, 020101. Available at http://prst-per.aps.org/abstract/PRSTPER/v4/i2/e020101.
- Wittmann, M.C. and Thompson, J.R. (2007) “Integrated approaches in physics education: A graduate level course in physics, pedagogy, and education research,” accepted for publication in the American Journal of Physics. Draft version available online at http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0608240.
- Springuel, R.P., Thompson, J.R., and Wittmann, M.C. (2007) “Applying clustering to statistical analysis of student reasoning about two-dimensional kinematics,” Physical Review Special Topics Physics Education Research 3, 020107. Available at http://prst-per.aps.org/abstract/PRSTPER/v3/i2/e020107.